We are Smith Paws, a family-owned and opperated breeder of Cavalier king Charles Spaniels in Northwest Indiana. My name is Krystal and I am a nurse but now attend to my dogs full-time with my daughter, Catelyn. We have been breeding dogs for about 5 years but I have always been a breeder of some sort of animal. I started working with Cavaliers because I got one as a pet from my husband and fell in love with the personality and beauty breed. I haven’t had a more loving, accepting animal of any kind. They love other pets, adults and children. They are happy most of the time. They have a calming gentle soul. Their expectation is that you will love them and that they will love you back no matter what.
When you adopt from us you are adopting from the most detailed and health-concious breeders of Cavaliers around. We have each of our puppies checked by a veterinary professional and fed a natural diet including raw meat once weaned. Because of this natural diet our dogs do not exhibit health issues such as skin or ear infections that Cavaliers are prone to. We raise our puppies in our home as part of our family until they become a part of yours. Our dogs and puppies are very well socialized and healthy inside and out.
We breed for quality and not for quantity. We follow breeding standards of the AKC and respect our queens’ health. We adhere to the new recommendations from the top reproductive veterinarians across the country to assure healthy litters. We’ve selected our queens and studs dogs from healthy, vibrant, well conformed standards of the Cavalier breed from the USA, the UK, Sweden, Romania and France and have OFA screenings performed annually on all breeding dogs.
When adopting a puppy from us you can be assured:
- We have raised our puppies underfoot and never in kennels.
- We offer quality puppies with wonderful personalities to provide companionship to new owners.
- Puppy parents are available for viewing by appt only.
All puppies leave our home up to date on vaccines, wormed, microchipped and vet checked and are not released until after 8 weeks of age.
- We have an OFA certification and health screening that is done annually on each breeding dog and a 2 year health guarantee from life threatening illness. The OFA databases are core to the organization’s objective of establishing control programs to lower the incidence of inherited disease. Responsible breeders have an inherent responsibility to breed healthy dogs. The OFA databases serve all breeds of dogs and cats, and provide breeders a means to respond to the challenge of improving the genetic health of their breed through better breeding practices. The testing methodology and the criteria for evaluating the test results for each database were independently established by veterinary scientists from their respective specialty areas, and the standards used are generally accepted throughout the world.
- Puppies have tested negative for EFS, dry eye syndrome and degenerative mailytis.
- Puppies will be sent home with Nuvet Plus Immune System Builder which is formulated to combat free radicals.
- We use Paw Print Genetics testing: Staffed by expertly trained geneticists, veterinarians, and technicians, the lab at Paw Print Genetics is equipped with the latest technology for the testing and analysis of canine genetic diseases.